If you haven't met Bob personally, it's a sure bet you followed his stories, columns and photos in the La Crosse Tribune for almost 41 years.
Bob retired from the Tribune on May 31, 2010, but his passion for writing about local outdoors and golf continues. While Bob is enjoying retirement, he devotes several hours each week to his website at boblamboutdoors.com.
Bob is a lifelong resident of La Crosse.
Born in La Crosse, Bob graduated from Onalaska High School in 1964 and from the university of Wisconsin-La Crosse in 1969.
Bob enlisted in the United States Army Wisconsin National Guard in 1967, and received an honorable discharge as a combat engineer and demolitions specialist in 1973.
Bob joined the Tribune staff as a sports reporter in November of 1969. He became assistant sports editor three years later and was the Tribune's sports editor from 1980-1990l; Became Tribune's outdoors editor and golf writer until retirement in 2010. Bob's last position was the "dream job" of his journalism career.
A former Tribune publisher once said, "Bob is your consummate entrepreneur. Ask Bob to come up with a new concept and he will. Bob always enjoys a challenge."
Bob and his wife, Kathy, have been married 44 years. They have two sons. Jon, and his wife Sara, live in Cloquet, MN, with their two sons, Jackson and Bryson. Jon is president of Lake Superior Warehousing Co., Inc., in Duluth. Evan is employed by Festival Foods.
Bob was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on May 8, 2015, and has undergone chemotherapy, radiation, surgery and additional chemotherapy. However, he continues to enjoy the outdoors and golf as well as producing stories, photos and videos for his website.
BOB LAMB BIOGRAPHY
* Born in La Crosse, WI, on Nov. 26, 1946.
* Graduate of Onalaska High School in 1964.
* Graduate of University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in 1969.
* Enlisted in united States Army Wisconsin National Guard in 1967, receiving an honorable discharge in 1973.
* Joined La Crosse Tribune as a sports reporter in November of 1969; Became assistant sports editor three years later; Served as Tribune sports editor from 1980-1990 before becoming Tribune's outdoors editor and golf writer before retiring in May of 2010.
* Co-founder of Camp Send-A-Kid in 2003, which has sent hundreds of at-risk kids to a free summer camp each year. Bob continues to serve on the Board of Directors.
* Co-founder of the Tribune/Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Hunter Ethics Award which began in 1997. Bob also continues to serve on the Board of Directors.
* Co-founder of the Tribune's La Crosse County Amateur Golf Championships in 1991. Although the Tribune withdrew its title sponsorship in 2012, Bob remains tournament director for the La Crosse County Amateur Golf Championships as presented by Pepsi-Cola of La Crosse.
* Co-founder of the Red Man All-American young All-Americans fishing partnership for boys and girls.
* Bob also helped develop a fishing partnership with the Greater La Crosse Boys and Girls Club involving local anglers who donate fishing gear for use to young boys and girls at the Club.
* Bob helped organize deer hunters and prepare meals for disabled hunters at the late Tom Pralle's farm foe several years in the early 1990's.
* Decades ago, Bob was a volunteer model railroad builder for youngsters at the then La Crosse Boys and Girls Club.
* Throughout his life, Bob spoken to elementary, middle school, high school and college students about his love for the outdoors as well as pursuing writing as a career.
* Bob has taught several children how to fish and hunt, and has coached youth softball teams on French island and youth baseball teams for the Greater La Crosses Boys and Girls Club.
AWARDS AND SERVICE
* Received national award from the American Bowling Congress for his leadership role in a Tribune special investigative project in the early 1990's. It was the only such recognition ever awarded by the ABC.
* Recipient of many awards from the Wisconsin Newspaper Association awards, Wisconsin and national Associated Press Sports Editors Association, Milwaukee Press Club, Outdoors Writers Association of America and Association of Great Lakes Outdoors Writers.
* Former president of Wisconsin Associated Press Sports Editors Association and Big Rivers Conference Sports Writers Association.
* Recognized by Wisconsin Baseball Coaches Association for dedication, service, commitment and coverage of baseball in the State of Wisconsin.
* Served on many Associated Press All-State Basketball and Football Selection Committees.
* Received the Greater La Crosse Boys and Girls Club distinguished "Backer of the Year," award in 2001-2002.